Monday, November 23, 2009

the armenians



These are the graves of Sarah Owen and Mack Owen, my Armenian great-grandmother and great uncle, at the Lower Circular Road Cemetery. My great-grandfather Joseph Martyrose Owen is buried in the grounds of the Holy Nazareth Church in Armenian Street. Its undergoing renovations right now so I doubt I can get in there.

Armenians are not ones for fancy stuff, it's all just plain and simple. I had the headstones cleaned and the letters re-done. One thing I didn't consider is that the person who repaired the letters on these headstones doesn't read English. There are a few interesting re-writes that I'll have to sort out when I come back ... like 'Faithful Hato Death'. Or maybe they can stay, hato is growing on me.

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful Michele... thank you for my birthday wishes. Lovely surprise ;)

    I love all that your sharing here.
    This is an awesome experience.

    love to you
    Ribbon ;) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgot to mention........ you do know that I've got photos of the graves at Nazareth? I know it's not the same as going yourself - but if you can't get there you're welcome to have them.

    ReplyDelete